Friday, March 16, 2012

WARNING - iOS autodownloads the 5.1 update

Today I received many calls from friends relatives and clients that the iOS 5.1 update started downloading without their interaction. I experienced this myself on my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4, also seen it happen on a friends iPhone 4S.

If your device is jailbroken the update will most likely fail, but the problem is that it takes huge amount of space. There is a solution about it:

Open in text editor of iFile
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

and change the ProductBuildVersion to 9B176 (9B179 for iPhone 4S) and ProductVersion to 5.1 .

Respring and the space should have been freed (around 800 MB for iPhone 4S and iPads and around 600 MB for iPhone 4 and 3GS)

Side Note:

If you do not close iFile before the respring you risk to damage your SystemVersion.plist - it is not so massive fail but in settings it will show N/A for software version and activator will protest about the version is too old. So it is wise to make a backup copy of that file just in case.

Why is this happen? Well I do not know for sure, but I guess that Apple can forcibly push updates to all iOS 5.x devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment